Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!
  • Page:

TOPIC: rub rail for 59 avalon

rub rail for 59 avalon 2 years 7 months ago #23261

does anyone know where to get a rub rail for my avalon or something that will work. Also , where the rubber attaches to the boat how do you make or repair the broken edges where someone used the boat without the rubber rail piece. So far I am still waiting to see about being able to get a title from oregon.. Does someone have good directions for taking the recoil start off in order to get to the coil and points to check to see if they are working since I don't have fire at the plugs. thanks. jeremy
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: rub rail for 59 avalon 2 years 7 months ago #23265

• RodB
  • ( User )
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Thank you received: 16
www.wefcorubber.com/extrusions_marine_rub_rails.asp for the rubrail insert.
Removing the pull start is pretty straight forward and easy. Remove the 4 bolts that hold it down ans well as any bolts that are on the sides for hose routing brackets and lift it off.
Removing the flywheel can be more of a challenge since it's been there for a long time but a puller and a hammer will get the job done. The compression release arm can be removed before removing the pull start if you want...easier to put back together if nothing else. I'd suggest a harmonic balancer puller from your local auto parts store...the finer the threads on the center shaft the better...but OMC did make a puller specific to the task if you'd rather get that. Use grade 8 bolts and heavy washers with the puller and keep the load even between the 3 bolts. Soaking the area where the flywheel and crankshaft join with a good penetrant for a few days isn't a bad move.
The coils in that series of outboard were prone to cracking over time...first place to check aside from the wiring between the outboard and the ignition switch.
Quick check option...unplug the wiring harness from the side of the outboard and try to pull start it that way....if you get spark then the problem is in the wiring or ignition switch.

Re: rub rail for 59 avalon 2 years 7 months ago #23267

my brother and i got to the coils and yes they are both cracked. When I removed the plug wires from the coils it just broke like droping a light bulb. I finaly found the model number for the motor. 35517. I ordered 2 coils,condensers and not sure of what else comes with the tune up kit. I WILL try to find the plug wires unless you can use car plug wires. They should be here in about 10 days. thanks . I will consult you again in the future. especially for the boat restore..;; YOU HAPPEN TO KNOW WHERE TO GET A RUB RAIL THAT WILL FIT MY AVALON 59.

Re: rub rail for 59 avalon 2 years 7 months ago #23328

• RodB
  • ( User )
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Thank you received: 16
Plenty of people here who will be glad to help out as they can...I just happened to answer first this time around. Hope things go well with the restoration. Those Larks from that era were solid outboards and as long as you have good compression the rest can be dealt with and you'll have a decent powerplant. As long as you don't have a real need for speed you'll be happy with it. The model number says it's a 1959 35hp Lark 20" if you didn't get any ID on it.

Re: rub rail for 59 avalon 2 years 6 months ago #23501

• Lido59
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boater
Check wefcorubber.com.
Do you have some of the original rub rail? If so, you can see if any of their cross sections match yours.
They have a rail for the Sport Lido. It is part 0001 3/4 G 6. The Avalon may have the same hull deck joint and that part would probably work.
  • Page:
Moderators: gwbell, gus.dando
Time to create page: 0.516 seconds

Copyright(C) 2011 Glasspar Owners Association